Are you interested in learning about writing and publishing? Being an author in today’s world is about much more than creating stories. Authors need to know how to publish, market, and use social media, not to mention all of the small tasks that go on behind the scene.
Learn everything about publishing a book from the first written word to the ongoing sales through this for-credit internship. The position will be remote. Travel is not required nor requested.
The internship could entail any of the following, subject to the status of upcoming publications:
- Regular posting on social media sites either individually or through Hootsuite
- Updating, maintenance, and assistance with website using WordPress.com (includes necessary tasks such as tagging posted media, checking for broken links, maintaining consistency across pages)
- Assistance in writing and distributing quarterly newsletter through WordPress
- Assistance with event planning, including book tours, book signings, and book releases
- Research projects to aid author in writing
- Updating databases necessary for series writing using Excel and Word
- Updating book distribution sites (KDP, Ingram, and Draft2Digital)
- The opportunity to write a guest blog to be publicly posted on author’s website.
- Proficiency in Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and WordPress
- Working knowledge of HootSuite, Excel, and Word
- Strong writing and proofreading skills
- Independent self-starter willing to take initiative and invent his or her own projects that will help author with the writing or publishing process
- Strong communication and teamwork
- Strong work ethic
- Willingness to familiarize oneself with the works and genre of the author
There is a potential for this to lead to an ongoing internship into upcoming semesters with pay, additional hours, and greater responsibility. The intern will have permission to use any of the projects or blogs written during this internship for his or her academic portfolio and/or resume.
To apply: Please provide a resume, cover letter, a short writing sample of absolutely no more than 5 pages, and at least two references who can attest to your writing ability, grammar skills, and dependability. In your cover letter, indicate how your college handles for-credit internships. Please send your materials in one PDF. Applications will be reviewed, and interns may be hired on a rolling basis, so interns are encouraged to apply throughout the semester for the next opening.